This is my all-time favourite recipe. The pie is so full of flavour! I love preparing this meal almost as much as I love eating it. It may look like there are a lot of steps, but don’t let that intimidate you as they are all very simple.
Our creamy chicken pie goes so well with Mashed Potatoes.
To see full-sized photos of this recipe (including some not shown on this post) click here. You’ll be so happy you did!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients // Yield 4 slices of good size pie
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Spray oil (for greasing the pie dish)
- 600g chicken breast
- 3 bacon rashers
- 1 Small onion
- 1 Cup frozen vegetables (we use peas and corn)
- 1 Tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 Cup chicken stock
- 1/2 Cup cream
- Pepper to taste
- Lawry’s (or substitute steak seasoning)
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1 sheet of shortcrust pastry (you can omit or use puff pastry on the base too if so desired. Also, I use store bought shortcrust/puff pastry, but if you have time to make your own I strongly encourage you to do so.)
- *Optional 1/4 cup white wine.
This recipe is adapted from Grandma Judy’s famous Philly Cheesesteak recipe. She’ll tell you, and I agree, it’s all about the bread rolls you use… and the steak… and the Lawry’s… and the cheese… and the onion. But mostly the rolls. G Judy gets her sub rolls from a nice little Italian bakery in Philadelphia, while we have to suffer sub-par rolls from our corner store.
Trust me when we say it’s all about the rolls. We have seriously tried five different types and none of them compare to those we had in Philly. But it may also have something to do with G Judy’s amazing cooking!
Thanks to mumma Nat for eating with us and being patient as we took the photos for the blog. This recipe is quick, but so flavourful. If serving to kids or as a lunch, try cutting the bread rolls in half to make mini Aussie Cheesesteaks.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Ingredients // Yield 4-6
*We sometimes double this recipe if we have guests.
- 1 package of Beef sizzle steak (available from Woolworth’s supermarkets).
- 1 large onion
- Lawry’s seasoning (or other steak seasoning).
- 4-6 Bread rolls
- 3 cheese slices